Tenants Association Soliciting Candidates for Board Elections - Petitioning Begins
NOTICE TO ALL RESIDENTS
The Nominating Committee of the Stuyvesant Town/Peter Cooper Village Tenants Association
(the “TA”) is soliciting candidates for election to its Board of Directors.
The election will take place in May 2014. To vote, members must be current in their dues as of
April 5, 2014—the Record Date. In accordance with TA bylaws, four seats on the board are to be filled this year.
· Friday, February 28: Final submission date of materials by candidates seeking Board endorsement.
· Saturday, March 1: Petitioning begins. TA will host a public forum at the Oval so candidates may introduce themselves to residents and collect signatures of TA members (rain date: Sunday, March 2).
· Saturday, March 15: All petitions must be received by TA by 3 p.m.
Residents who fill the requirements below may petition to share a place on the ballot:
· Must be 18 years of age or older;
· A resident of Stuyvesant Town or Peter Cooper Village;
· Current in Association dues as of April 5, 2014;
· Should be prepared to spend 20 to 50 or more hours each month on TA business;
· Commit to a monthly board meeting, and other phone or in-person TA meetings as needed.
How do I get on the ballot?
There are two (2) alternative methods:
Application Process: The TA Board will endorse four (4) candidates. Interested TA Members must submit their qualifications to the Nominating Committee for consideration as a candidate for the Board by Friday, February 28, 2014. A résumé and/or statement of two pages or less stating your qualifications to serve on the Board, including past community activities here and elsewhere, any relevant professional or work experience, and why you are interested in serving on the Board should be submitted via email to: “nominations2014” at our domain, “stpcvta.org”. Please be sure your application includes your best contact number and email address. You must also include a brief summary of your qualifications (100 words or less) for the ballot.
While the Committee encourages any applicant to seek an interview, it cautions that the only way a candidate can ensure a ballot position is to complete the petitioning process.
Petitioning Process:Interested TA Members may seek a place on the ballot by submitting a petition signed by forty-five (45) or more Members of the TA. For the purpose of the petition process, any resident of an apartment that is current in its dues as of April 5, 2014 is a Member of the TA. No more than one candidate’s name may be on any one petition. Individuals signing the petition must sign and print their name, address, apartment number, home phone number, and if available, an email address. The Nominating Committee will judge the validity of all petitions.
Petitioning begins on Saturday, March 1, 2014, and the petition form is available here. Completed petitions and other required items (see below) may be sent via mail to: Nominating Committee, ST/PCV Tenants Association, P.O. Box 1202, New York, NY 10009-1202. Petitions are due in the TA post office box no later than Saturday, March 15, 2014. You may also deliver your petition in person to the Community Center at 449 East 14th Street (1st Avenue Loop) between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 15, 2014.
In addition to your petition with at least 45 valid signatures, you must submit:
· A statement with your name, address (including apartment number), telephone and email;
· A statement that you are 18 years of age or older; and
· A summary of your qualifications in 100 words or less.